Sexual Harassment & Assault

Written By nfts-admin

What is Sexual Harassment & Assault and how do I get help?

The National Film and Television School is committed to providing a positive experience for all students, staff and visiting tutors. We believe that bullying, harassment, assault and discrimination are never acceptable.

What is Sexual Harassment?

Sexual harassment is unwanted behaviour of a sexual nature which: 

  • violates your dignity 
  • makes you feel intimidated, degraded or humiliated 
  • creates a hostile or offensive environment 

You don’t need to have previously objected to someone’s behaviour for it to be considered unwanted. 

Sexual harassment can include: 

  •  sexual comments or jokes 
  • physical behaviour, including unwelcome sexual advances, touching and various forms of sexual assault 
  • displaying pictures, photos or drawings of a sexual nature 
  • sending emails with a sexual content 

What is sexual assault?

Sexual assault is any sexual touching that a person does not consent to. It involves all unwanted sexual contact including kissing, groping, rape and enforced sexual acts. 

Anyone can be sexually assaulted, regardless of gender or sexuality. It does not matter if you have previously consented to sexual acts with that person, or with others. Whatever the circumstances, nobody has the right to force you to have sex or touch you without your consent. If this happens to you, it’s important to remember it’s not your fault. 

Immediate help?

Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured call 999 (or 112 from a mobile). 

Find a safe space.  If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere you feel safe. If you are at the School you can call Security on 01494 731400 or go to your nearest building and ask someone to phone Security for you.

Support for students

·      You can use the Support & Report system to report your concerns.  Or you can arrange to speak to a Student Wellbeing Advisor from the School’s Student Support and Wellbeing team for advice and support.  They can be contacted via email or via Facebook Workplace. 

Support for Staff Members

· Talk to your line manager. Particularly if your work has been or is being affected. 

·  Have an informal conversation with a member of the HR team or your trade union representative.  

·  All staff have access to the School’s Employee Assistance Programme where you can find online resources as an immediate source of support.…/worklife-solutions/eap/

Access Code is worklife
Password is solutions 

·  Contact Citizens Advice for support and advice about discrimination at work. 

·  Access staff wellbeing tools via the Facebook Workplace Wellbeing Hub. 

Other sources of support

· Rape Crisis offers emotional and psychological support and practical help to anyone who has been raped or sexually assaulted.  

· Wycombe’s Women’s Aid supports women in the High Wycombe area who are experiencing sexual assault or domestic violence. 

· Survivors UK offers a helpline service and online advice for male survivors of sexual assault and rape. 

· Galop supports LGBT+ people affected by sexual abuse, assault or violence. 

·  Revenge Porn Helpline for practical help with removing online content and advice about reporting revenge porn. Call 0345 600 0459, 11am-4pm Monday to Friday. 

· Victim Support provide support to anyone who has been the victim of a crime. They can support you cope with the after effects of crime and help with reporting to the police.

Reporting for students, staff members and visiting tutors

· We encourage students, staff and visiting tutors to contact somebody at the School in the first instance to help support you with any concerns you have. 

· Some individuals may prefer to use the School’s Support & Report tool. Students, staff, tutors and visitors can report an incident, both named and anonymous, via the School’s Support & Report system. 

· To the police. You can report a crime by calling the non-emergency number, 101 or online.  

· Make a formal complaint using the School’s Bullying, Harassment and Sexual Misconduct Policy (for students) or to the HR department using the Grievance policy (for staff)